Thursday, July 31, 2008

A new kitchen toy

I have been coveting an electric ice cream maker for months, especially since the weather turned so hot (heat index of 105 today!!). Last weekend Doug went for a haircut at Sport Clips, which is in a strip mall near our the Target closest to our house. While he was getting his haircut I wandered into the Williams-Sonoma outlet down the strip. There I found some little dishes which I thought would be perfect for making smaller portions of my TWD selections and I also found a $39.99 Krups electric ice cream maker, with a 20% off sign. Doug needs to learn not to take me with him when he goes for a haircut because I always end up in the outlet buying things we don’t really need. In my defense I had really been jonesing for an ice cream maker and he had even agreed it would be fun to have. So this bad boy got to come home with me.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across David Lebovitz's recipe for Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream. I may or may not have gotten this urge to buy said ice cream maker solely for the purpose of making this particular ice cream. It looks divine. It also has quite a few steps, which is why since purchasing the ice cream maker a week ago I have not attempted this recipe yet. Maybe in a few weeks when we have company. In the meanwhile, I decided to make this recipe for Nutella Ice Cream from Chocolate & Zucchini, ingenious and simple and delicious. After he took a bite Doug realized the goodness that is homemade ice cream.


I've also had the thought to try another David Lebovitz recipe, this one for Candied Bacon Ice Cream. Doug loves anything with bacon so I might get the 'wife of the year' trophy if I made that.

This past weekend I used the recipe book that came with the maker to make vanilla ice cream and then added some frozen blueberries. I really wasn't very happy with this attempt. Doug liked it but I didn't like the texture of the blueberries and it tasted to icy to me, not creamy enough. Next time if I were to attempt this recipe I'd use fresh blueberries. Maybe it will be better next time.

1 comment:

Rigby said...

Sounds like you are having fun with your ice cream maker! How cool is it that next week's recipe is for Blueberry ice cream?