Monday, December 01, 2008

Terrariums gone wild

Months and months ago I saw several bloggers (Namely Angry Chicken) that were making terrariums and that gave me the nudge to make my own. Then I got bogged down in other projects and forgot about them for awhile. Until two weeks ago when I was at an estate sale and found a terrarium planter that I got for five dollars. This inspired me to finally make some of my own. In addition to the planter, I bought a large vase/candle holder and a small one from Michael's (with my 40% coupon, score), to plant.
I used this tutorial to put them together. I bought the pea gravel and ground charcoal at the pet supply store, I found the plants and potting soil at Home Depot and I already had some moss on hand. Before I put them together I washed all the containers with hot, soapy water. Putting the terrariums together wasn't too time consuming or messy. I used newspapers over my dining room table and I managed to not get potting soil everywhere.
The little gnomes, mushrooms, etc. are vintage-y cupcake toppers from Bake It Pretty. I got the Magical Forest Sampler and it came with rabbits, green and silver trees, deer, mushrooms and the gnomes are actually Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I'm pretty pleased with the way they all turned out, now I just have to make sure I don't kill them.
I spent most of my Sunday knitting and baking. I'm going out of town next weekend so I made my Tuesdays with Dorie selections for this week and next week. Both recipes are cookies so I'm over chilling and rolling out dough as of right now. I also finished a gift hat I started Saturday night in Malabrigo, I can't remember the name of the colorway but it's so pretty, it's like blue velvet, more of a dark blue than the picture shows. I got myself a skein of Malabrigo chunky to make the Chickadee Cowl from Through the Loops, I'm hoping to finish it before Friday. Gotta get cracking.

No comments: