Friday, February 27, 2009

A love letter

How about a nice sappy post?Today I celebrate five years of marriage to a man whom I adore and who makes me a little insane. He maintains I have no sense of humor; I maintain he’s no fun. We had our first date in October of 2001 and we’ve been together ever since. We’ve laughed hysterically, slammed doors and cried (well I’ve cried, him not so much) and made fun of things (and people) and taken too many car trips to count and faced infertility and bought a house and made fun of each other and fought about politics on an almost weekly basis. He thinks I’m a Communist and I think he has terrible taste in music. I enjoy various kinds of cuisine; he would be happy eating bologna and cheese sandwiches for the rest of his life. I’m the James Carville to his Mary Matalin. We almost never have massive disagreements (sans the recent chicken discussion). We share a love of the weird and the obscene and we’re strangely obsessed with the Zodiac Killer and he doesn’t mind that I’m in love with Chuck Todd and I don’t mind that he’s in love with Allison Krauss. Our dream is to move to Oregon and have a compound and chickens and goats (okay so the chickens and goats might be more my dream than his).

Frankly I can’t fathom being married to anyone else. Happy Anniversary Doug.

“In Spite of Ourselves” is a great John Prine song and “5 Years Time” I just found the other day and think it fits with the whole fifth anniversary thing. Also the video has a little bit of a Wes Anderson vibe. (I couldn't imbed the 5 Years Time video but it's linked above)


John Prine and Iris DeMent - In Spite of Ourselves - The best video clips are here




6 comments:

lynseym said...

i love in spite of ourselves. john prine is wonderful and iris is too. she's from my homeland!

happy anniversary!

The Food Librarian said...

Happy Anniversary!!! At least you haven't been bored these past years! Your hair short is totally cute too!

emylibef said...

Happy anniversary! Too sweet. Really. You guys were made for each other.

Anonymous said...

Awww, that's really sweet. Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! Happy Anniversary!

Diane said...

happy anniversary you two.