Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: French Yogurt Cake with Marmalade Glaze

When I read the description of this recipe I knew I was going to like it. I was not disappointed. Fairly easy recipe to put together. And unbelievable, there was no butter in it AND I didn't have to pull out my mixer! Granted there was oil instead of butter but rarely is there a TWD selection without butter. As the recipe called for I used ground almonds in the batter and lemon zest. The cake is described as a cross between a chiffon cake and a pound cake and it seems that it's also a staple in French recipe boxes. I made my cake in a 9" inch round cake pan and it took about 35 minutes or so.
It got a really nice golden crust on the sides and the top was puffed (just a little bit) and golden brown. Dorie calls for a marmalade glaze to top it off or in the "Playing Around" section she gives some more options on serving it. One of those was to make the cake in a round cake pan, just it into two layers and fill the layers with curd or jam. I did something like that. I cut the cake into two layers, made a syrup of fresh lemon juice, sugar and a tiny bit of water, boiled until it was reduced by half. Then I poked holes the the bottom layer with a fork and poured the syrup over.
I also made fresh whipped cream (heavy cream + sugar + vanilla) and frosted the two layers with it. The only problems I had were self-created. I didn't let the cake cool quite long enough before unmolding it from the pan and part of the bottom stuck in the pan. And again, I didn't let it cool long enough before frosting it with the whipped cream so it was a little melty. But I was still really happy with the results. A very tasty, simple and versatile cake. The husband person liked it, which is always a good sign since he's so picky. I shared some with our neighbors and they seemed to enjoy it too.Thanks to Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction for this week's selection!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand not letting it cool long enough!!! I was so impatient with this one, I wanted to try it right away! I love that you made a simple syrup for it! It looks beautiful and delicious!

Anonymous said...

While I love my mixer, a recipe than can be pulled together by hand is so very satisfying. Your variation looks wonderful.

chocolatechic said...

Oh...your mini whisk.


I love it.

Anne said...

I had a hard time letting this cool, too! The cake looks perfect and I'm with you- any recipe that doesn't require waiting for butter, cleaning the mixer, etc, is wonderful. Great job! :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Your slice of cake looks wonderful. I'm glad it was a hit. It really is a super-easy delicious recipe.

Sihan said...

oh... everyone had thiers layered! and that looks good. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love layered cakes..... it looks fantastic! I made another one and froze it - I think I will "layer" it, great idea! Sorry it stuck - but it WAS worth it wasn't it! Nicely done!

TeaLady said...

i remember doing that with the jello cakes hot jello over a holey cake. Yours looks yummy! I like the bite floating in air....

Audrey said...

I loved this cake...glad you did too. Since I'll be making this a lot, I'm going to make a round layer cake next. No reason to get into a rut! :)

Jessica said...

I often get impatient with letting things cool and the same thing happens to me. The cake looks scrumptious though and I'm glad it was a hit at your house.

lynseym said...

this looks so good even though there is no chocolate in it :)

Engineer Baker said...

I agree - it was pretty surprising for it to contain zero butter :) I loved the golden crust too. Beautiful job! Mine stuck to the bottom of my pan as well, but I just claimed it for tastetesting :)