Sunday, October 18, 2009

I'm number two

Remember my ranting about not winning anything at the Mid-South Fair? Well it turns out I did win something. Last week as I was shifting through the mail I found a thick envelope addressed to me from the Mid-South Fair. It seems my blueberry muffins and my brownies won 2nd place ribbons and my almond brown sugar cookies won a 3rd place ribbon. Plus I got a $5 check and $4 worth of Domino sugar coupons. I guess they only show the 1st place winners and ribbons at the fair itself. So I'm pretty excited, my chocolate marshmallows were the only thing they didn't win a ribbon, which seemed surprising because most people love them. The brown sugar-almond cookie recipe is below, I thought it was the best tasting thing I entered. They're simple and quick to make, be forewarned though that I play it by sight for the ingredient amounts so it might not be perfectly precise. If I ever get my hands on almond paste I might try to use it instead of almond extract.

In other good news, my awesome group of friends and me, aka the Memphis Knit Mafia, made the Memphis edition of Skirt magazine this month. It's free on newsstands around the city and the full article and photo can be found here. Although in the online article they forget to mention me at the very bottom but they do tell the very sweet story of how my knittas bought my sock yarn to help fund my purchase of my KitchenAid mixer back in the spring. Love those women SO much!

Brown Sugar-Almond Cookies

1 stick + 6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp fleur de sel salt
2 large eggs
2 tbsp high quality almond extract (Nielsen-Massey is my favorite)
2 cups King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Baking Powder

For sugar coating:
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp light brown sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees

In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda, set aside.

Melt stick of butter in a small saucepan on medium heat, stirring continually until the butter becomes a light tan color. Remove from heat, pour into small bowl, whisk in the remaining butter and let sit for 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and fleur del sel to the butter mixture, whisking until smooth. Then add eggs and almond extract.

Fold the butter mixture into the flour mixture until well combined.

Mix 2 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp brown sugar in bowl roll out cookie dough into small balls and coat in sugar mixture.

Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes (or less depending on how hot you’re oven runs). Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

No comments: