Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Cherry-Fudge Brownie Torte

Everyone always says this but it's finally my turn! I've been baking with the TWD group since May, 2008. My first attempt was Pecan Honey Sticky Buns and it was also the first time I ever made brioche. Being a part of TWD has given me the opportunity to make/bake things I never dreamed I would be able to. Kugelhopf, cream puffs, homemade pie crust, completely homemade lime meringue pie, pudding, I could go on and on. It's such so much fun to do and there are a ton of great blogs I've discovered by being a part of TWD.

It wasn't too difficult for me to choose, I had my eye on the Cherry-Fudge Brownie Torte for awhile because I love the combination of cherries and chocolate. The torte took awhile to put together, you have to flambe the the dried cherries with kirsch, melt the butter and chocolate together, then mix everything and bake it for 55 minutes. The cake has to cool completely before you mix the mousse topping up and pour it over the cake. I think it took about an hour or so for my cake to cool. The mousse part is cream cheese, sugar, mascarpone cheese and a dash of vanilla. It came together really quick and was very pourable. I was a little worried that it would 'set' because it was so pourable. After an overnight stay in the fridge the mousse was still runny, but I have a feeling it's because I overbeat it a little. It was still delicious, just what I imagined.Thank you for baking with me this week! I can't wait to see what baking adventures lie ahead.

***
Cherry-Fudge Brownie Torte

For the brownie layer
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon (or up to 2 teaspoons, to taste) coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried tart cherries
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup kirsch
3 tablespoon cherry preserves
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
11 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the mousse
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup cold heavy cream

unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting

Getting Ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Put the pan on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.

To Make the Brownie Layer: Whisk together the flour, cocoa, pepper and salt.
Put the cherries and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then stand back and carefully ignite the kirsch. When the flames die, stir in the preserves and boil until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.

Put the butter and 7 ounces of the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter and chocolate are just melted. Stir in 1/2 cup of the sugar, and remove the bowl from the heat.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the eggs, the remaining 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla extract until pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Switch to a large sturdy spatula and gently mix in the melted chocolate. Still using the spatula, fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the cherries and the remaining 4 ounces of chopped chocolate. Turn the batter into the springform pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.

Bake the brownie cake for about 55 minutes, or until the top is dry - it may be slightly cracked, but that's okay - and the cake is just starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. If you stick a thin knife into the center, it should come out streaked with some moist (not wet) batter attached. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let the cake cool for 15 minutes, then loosen the brownie by running a blunt knife between the cake and the pan and remove the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely on the base of the pan.

When the cake is cool, invert it onto a rack and remove the base of the pan and the parchment paper. Wash and dry the pan and return the cake to it. Refasten the sides around the cake. (The cake can be made ahead; wrap it well and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Or wrap it airtight and keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months; defrost it in the wrapper.)

To make the mousse: Working with the stand mixer preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and salt together on medium-high speed, scraping the bowl as needed, until very smooth. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the mascarpone and mix it until it is smooth. Add the cream and beat only until it is blended - don't overbeat it; you want a light, smooth mousse. Pour the mousse over the brownies and tilt and jiggle the pan to even the mousse.

Slip the cake into the refrigerator and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight) to set the mousse.

Remove the sides of the springform and let the cake set at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving. Dust the top of the cake with cocoa powder just before serving.

44 comments:

Paula said...

Nice choice. Your torte is pretty even if the mousse was a little soft. Gave your brownies a completely different look.

Amanda said...

A great choice, thanks for hosting! There's been a lot of recipes lately without photos in the book, I always find that a challenge, but fun at the same time ;)

Anonymous said...

This was SO YUMMY! Thanks for the great selection!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great pick! Yours looks nice with the mousse dripping down the sides - it's a nice effect!

Pamela said...

It looks so lusciously good! I'm sorry that I was unable to bake along with you, though. I'll have to try this one very soon.

Anonymous said...

Delicious! I made the topping and dolloped it onto each slice, rather than covering the whole torte. The teaspoon (or two!) of black pepper in this was such a treat.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This looks like you made a fantastic choice. Chocolate and cherries are yum. I like the idea of the mousse on top.

Katrina said...

Great pick. Glad you got to do your thing! This make a great brownie recipe!
I've really enjoyed TWD, too, and love all the things I've been baking and making as I never would have without TWD!

Prudy said...

Thanks, it was a great fun pick!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great pick this week! Your torte is stunning!

lynseym said...

I love it April! You're such a great baker!

Hindy said...

A deliciusly chocolatey recipe - Thanks for hosting!

natalia said...

Ciao April ! Thanks for your great choice ! It was a success around here !!I love the way yours look !!

Amber Marie said...

It looks lovely! & the mousse looks delicious. Glad you enjoyed.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

a great pick--thanks so much! and wonderful step-by-step photos!

Engineer Baker said...

Awesome pick! I didn't make the mousse, but the brownie was just perfect. And I love how the mousse dripped so neatly down the sides - gorgeous!

Isabelle Lambert said...

merci beaucoup April, pour le choix de cette recette, c'est un bon gros gâteau qui a été apprécié par ma famille :)

marissa said...

Great choice! I love the combination of chocolate and cherries, too. Yours looks great!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I can't wait to make this. I am lame and haven't done it yet but do have the ingredients. Looks like yours turned out perfectly! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for hosting this week. It was a great selection and loved by all!

Flourchild said...

Love your brownies..nice!

Bella Baker said...

Great choice, April! I tweaked mine a bit, but it was so delicious! I love your blog!!

Susan said...

Thanks for the yummy pick! Mine turned out much different...no mascarpone and I blended cherry filling into my cream cheese, but it was still good. Yours looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Your torte looks soo pretty and elegant on your stand! And wow, your mousse came out really smooth! I'll have to try and flambe one of these days... =)

Sweet as Coco said...

The torte looks good running down the sides! Makes for a much prettier photo! Thanks for hosting! It was VERY good!!

Rachelle S said...

Happy TWD week! The torte is great, I love the addition of cherries! Your looks lovely!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Thanks for a great pick! My mousse was really runny, but it tasted great!

Erin said...

Thanks for a great pick! I think it was a hit with everyone!

Rhiani said...

Thanks for hosting this week...this isn't one that I would have chosen on my own, but it gave me a chance to make my husband happy and be creative!

Funny - I used the exact same brand of cherry preserves that you did :)

Vivian said...

This was a great choice. I had a great time making it and it is something I probably wouldn't have normally chosen to make myself. All in all it was delicious.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks for choosing this April - it was delicious even if a little naughty!

Unknown said...

thanks for this pick--I loved it! and your blog is super cute!

Melly Kay said...

yummmmmmmmmm

margot said...

Excellent choice, it was fun to make and very yummy! Yours looks great!

dorie said...

Great post and a great torte -- I, too, think the drizzle effect is pretty. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to read that you've learned to bake things you never dreamed you would by baking with the fabulous TWDers and using my recipes. It's the biggest thrill.

Mary said...

Great post....we really loved this recipe and are big chocolate/cherry fans too!

ambika said...

Totally making me drool at my desk. YUM.

April said...

It was a fun one and super chocolatey. Thanks for the great pick.

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

What a great torte! In addition to discovering this great recipe, I discovered cherry preserves. I really don't think I have ever had cherry preserves, which is odd because it seems like a rather normal item. Toast has been extra good this week. Really nice process photos in you post.

jill Buker said...

Great pick! We all loved it here.

Jules Someone said...

That looks great! Thanks for a fun pick this week.

Mimi said...

Thank You for hosting this week. Great choice in recipe. Nice combination of flavors, (I really liked the balck pepper) and textures.
Mimi

vibi said...

Thank you April for the great pick this week... I was so not expecting such a great tasting cake! Nicely Surprising!

And thank you so much for coming on my blog to thank me (LOL Redundant? LOL), I appreciate very much that you went around to thank everyone, I did that too last year! :)

I'm sorry though it took me a while to come over... was sick for the passed few days, could barely get up. :( A bit better now.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!