Monday, October 05, 2009

Weekend sabbatical

I made a vow on Friday that after I got home from work Friday afternoon I wasn't going to leave the house again until Monday morning. I've been so busy lately that I really haven't had any time to relax and catch up. Most of the weekend I spent doing yard/garden work, knitting cooking, putting up our Halloween decorations, laying on the couch and catching up on all of our DVR-ed shows.

Friday night I made Spaghetti Bolognese using a recipe found here. I did skip the celery and added an extra carrot and two golden bell peppers from the garden. The sauce was good but I should have added a little more salt. The recipe made enough for me to bag and freeze a whole other serving. For dessert I made Apple Cobbler with Cheddar Cheese Biscuits, a recipe from Rustic Fruit Desserts I heard about at Angry Chicken. I bought myself a copy at Davis-Kidd and there's lots of delicious looking things I can't wait to try. The cobbler was very good and I was able to use up some of the apples I bought at the Farmer's Market last weekend.
Saturday we were the recipients of gorgeous weather, it was clear, sunny and the air had just the tiniest nip in it. Much of yard work (weeding, trimming hedges, trimming the ivy, etc.) had been neglected over the last couple of months so I spent the morning doing those things. In the afternoon Doug and I put up our Halloween decorations. The black silhouettes are from the Martha line at Michael's and were picked up at 40% off last week.
Sunday was the complete weather opposite of Saturday, it rained steadily all day and the temp was almost chilly. I made this week and next week's TWD selections, finished the second sleeve on my Francis sweater, watched more television and made Chicken Apple Curry for dinner (recipe here).

Not everything I wanted to accomplish this weekend got done but I did manage to have some much needed 'home time' for the first time in forever. Hope you had a great weekend!

3 comments:

lynseym said...

i love recuperation time! look at how much you got done!

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I'm doing now...taking a brief sabbatical. Your cobbler sounds yummy.

Karine said...

Your cobbler sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing:)