Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Books

I love books. I've always loved them. When I was growing up the library was a place we walked to in the summer. I remember walking in there and being hit in the face immediately with the cool air and that library smell. Miss Boyd was the librarian for most of my childhood. She was what people used to refer to as an 'old maid.' She was probably in her early seventies when I was a child. She was the person who stamped the little card in your book and let you take it home with you. I read everything imaginable. Amelia Bedila, Jam for Frances, Richard Scarry, the Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley High, the Babysitter's Club and eventually as I got older Stephen King, Anne Rice, Lee Smith, Ellen Gilchrist and others. I always took a book with me everywhere I went. Even on the less than 10 minute drive from our house to Wal-Mart I had to take a book. I read books at lunch at school, in the car, in the bathtub, everywhere. I had dreams about having my own personal library in my house with book shelves stacked to the ceiling. I am lucky that my husband loves books like I do and came into our marriage with boxes and boxes of books from when he worked at a bookstore. Currently, I believe our book habit keeps Amazon in business. I'm constantly hearing about a book on NPR or reading about it in a magazine or on someone' blog. Which is how I ended up with a stack of fresh reading material that hasn't even been cracked yet. (Mainly due to my working non-stop on that Juliet sweater)

These are on my desk, waiting to be read:

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science & Sex by Mary Roach
The Book of Dahlia by Elisa Albert
The Sky Isn't Visible from Here by Felicia Sullivan
Boom: Voice of the Sixities by Tom Brokaw
How Sassy Changed My Life: A Love Letter to the Greatest Teen Magazine of All Time by Kara Jesella and Marisa Meltzer

I'm not really sure which one is going to win the battle for being read first, I can't decide because they all look so good. They taunt me every time I pass them on the desk.

No comments: