Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Garden - Week 8


Most everything in the garden is growing like crazy. The squash just keeps getting bigger and bigger and some of them are getting ready to bloom. Over the weekend I pulled out the dead peas and replaced them with some watermelon plants I transplanted from one of the other beds as well as marigolds to help with pest control and a few peanut plants we found at Dan West over the weekend.


The bed that holds the butternut squash, the summer squash, cantaloupe and watermelon was getting crowded so I relocated some of the squash to the bed with zucchini, cucumber and carrots. I'm still having slug and whitefly issues. I bought some 'Sluggo' slug treatment over the weekend and spread it around on Sunday, it's safe for all other animals/wildlife, just not slugs. Yesterday morning I went out there and found little slug bodies in my beds so I guess it worked. I used insecticidal soap to treat the whiteflies but it barely made a dent in them. Those little bastards are hard to kill. They are the worst too, I hate them with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. I've also notice what appears to be aphids on my tomatoes so that's something else I need to deal with. I'll have to consult my last issue of 'Organic Gardening' to see if I can find a natural solution.


No comments: