Wednesday, July 09, 2008

In the Garden - Week 13

SQUASH! I have squash people – in MY garden, real, live yellow summer squash. I am hopelessly excited about that development. We went outside and started poking around Sunday and I had not really been paying attention to the squash plants lately because they bloomed but didn’t seem to be doing much else so I was concerned there would be no squash. But Sunday I started moving the leaves around and lo and behold there was a tiny little yellow squash in the midst of the leaves. I found two others on another plant too. So hopefully in the next few weeks I’ll have big squash to eat.

The cucumber is still growing, I see little bitty cucumbers but they seem to be the same size that they were two weeks ago. Maybe they’ll have a growth spurt soon. The cantaloupe vines have started blooming too and the watermelon vines are growing a lot but no blooms yet. My cayenne peppers are producing lots of peppers, I intend to dry them but I need to look up the best method to do that.I have not (knock on wood) seen any horned tomato worms on my tomato plants in several days. I guess it would be too much to hope that they have disappeared for good. In addition to the first tomato I found a few weeks ago, which is get bigger and bigger, I found four more little green tomatoes. The plants also have tons of blooms which I am hoping will equal tons of tomatoes.

And in addition to the summer squash, I found two tiny baby butternut squashes on the vines. I love, love, love butternut squash. Its good roasted, pureed into soup, baked, stuffed, anything really. I was ecstatic to see those little butternuts. Let’s hope they keep growing and the pests/fungus/etc leave them alone.

No comments: