Friday, July 11, 2008

Things from the past


When my mom gave over last Friday, she had been cleaning out her cedar chest and brought me a few things she thought I might want. My mom’s cedar chest has stored tons of keepsakes from my childhood, I’m very glad she kept those things in a safe place for us. She brought me several photographs of myself as a baby, some baby clothes (some that she even made herself) the footprints that they took in the hospital when I was born, the little “It’s A Girl” card from my bassinet in the hospital nursery, my Girl Scout sash (it still fits!), a New Testament gifted to me when I was born and other similar odds and ends. They all smell faintly like the inside of the cedar chest.
One of the other treasures she brought me was a little apron that belonged to my great-great grandmother Jennie. I never knew her because she died years before I was born, but I know she was very special to my own grandmother. She also must have been a very tiny woman because her little apron barely wraps around my hips. The pocket on the front needs a little repair because it has come loose from the apron itself but it should only take a few stitches to fix. I’m very happy to have it, I really appreciate things like that that have a story and it’s even better that it belonged to someone in my family.

I have been attempting to make my own apron for awhile now, I was using the pattern from Bend the Rules Sewing. I even got so far as to cut all the fabric pieces out but I haven't sewn anything yet. I really need to just bite the bullet and try to do it. It can't be that hard right? I wanted to participate in the Tie One On apron challenge for August, which is to make an apron with gingham fabric. I bought some brown and pink gingham the other week so I have the fabric I just need to take the plunge and actually make the apron. I'm not very good at cutting straight lines or sewing them either. All my seams are crooked. My mom is supposed to come over one Saturday soon when neither one of us is busy to help me make a skirt. Last summer I bought ? and it has some really adorable patterns in it that I am dying to make. I just don't want to spend a lot of money of nice fabric and then ruin it!

No comments: