Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie: Apple Cheddar Scones

This week’s recipe was chosen by Karina of The Floured Apron. I looove scones, the coffee shop I go to used to carry these really delicious cranberry-orange scones and I would indulge in one every week. Sadly they no longer carry them so if I want a scone I have to make it myself. I really enjoy savory breads/quiches/tarts so the Apple Cheddar Scones really excited me. They did not disappoint, they were really good. I followed Dorie’s recipe exactly, using the dried apple and mild cheddar cheese. My cheese was very finely grated though because I used my microplane grater since I could find the cheese grater. Based on other member’s comments I knew the dough was very sticky so I just used my ice cream scoop instead of trying to get them into the perfect scone shape. This little adventure did make me covet a scone pan, maybe next time….

Next week’s selection is Double-Crusted Blueberry Pie, chosen by Amy of South in Your Mouth, which my family will get to enjoy on Friday at our 4th of July BBQ. I’ve actually never really made a true from scratch pie crust (I’ve been too lazy!).

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your scones look perfect, with or without a scone pan!

Prudy said...

I'm pining for a scone pan too. Your scones are beautiful! I'm anxious for next week's challenge too. :)

Anonymous said...

Your scones do look perfect! And now you have me wanting to make some cranberry orange ones as well :)

Anonymous said...

Your scones turned out great, and I'm sure you'll do just as well with the pie crust next week!

Erin | Naturally Ella said...

I moved away from my favorite scone place so I have the same problem- if I want a good scone, I have to make them!

Your scones look delicious! Good luck with the pie crust!

marae said...

i did ice cream scooper too, plus i shaved off my knuckle grating the cheese, ouch! so def no hand mixing for me. looks fab!

Mary Ann said...

They look great! Good job!

Engineer Baker said...

Very pretty. Glad you liked them!

Susie Homemaker said...

Your scones turned out great with the scoop method... Nice job!

Jacque said...

ooooh, yours are picture perfect! I think the scoop was the way to go. Nice job!

Tammy said...

a scoop was a great way to deal with this sticky dough! yummy looking scones!

Pamela said...

Pretty pictures. I scooped them onto the pan, too. I never knew until recently that there actually is a pan for scones!

Christine said...

Your scones look perfect!

Amy said...

I've been wanting a scone pan, too. But scones made free-form are definitely more rustic... that's what I say, at least! And yours look great!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh, I love me some cranberry orange scones. And maple oatmeal. Mmmmmmmm.

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

They are yummy and I too really covet a scone pan. I almost went and bought one, but talked myself out of it. Good job.

Steph said...

Your scones look nice an puffy! A scone pan sounds cool. As stick as it may be, I acutally love rolling the dough into a log and cutting it into triangles.

By the way, cranberries and orange sounds like a great combination! I once almost made a cranberries and orange loaf, but I forgot about the stuff in my oven and made a mess of my oven and kitchen during preheating. I have yet to attempt that loaf again..

Your family will definitely love you for the blueberry pie. I've never made one either, but I can't wait!

Jules Someone said...

What beautiful scones! yum!