Friday, December 26, 2008

What Santa brought

My trip to Seattle was my Christmas gift but Doug still wanted to buy me something to put under the tree. I asked for books and a new knitting tape measure. Ask and ye shall receive. He replaced my long-lost sheep measuring tape with a new one and got me some Flannery O'Connor and Kurt Vonnegut. I'm hoping they will redeem me from my recent literary indiscretions.
In my stocking I got candy, gum, a tiny bottle of Absolut vodka and some scratch off lottery tickets. I think he was going for a vice theme. There were no cigarettes though.
He was very happy with his gifts, especially the fly box I bought him on Etsy, it even has his initials on it.
We had to leave supa early yesterday morning after we exchanged gifts and grabbed coffee. My mother-in-law and her 'gentleman friend' invited us to his house in Grenada, Mississippi for lunch. It's a two hour drive and Doug drove (Merry Christmas to me) so I finished the ribbing on the hem of my Rusted Root and started on the sleeve ribbing. I also cast on the La-La-Love-You Cowl from PopKnits. I'm using Berroco Ultra Alpaca in Irwyn Green.
Grenada was, well, Grenada. This is my expression upon our exit.
To paraphrase something my mother once said "Our relatives left Mississippi for a reason." While my MIL's friend was nice, I've never seen someone so excited to show you pictures of dead deer. Or the rack of a deer he just shot - with some deer skull still attached. Shudder. We managed to leave about 3:00, so we could get home and relax a little. Doug took an extended nap and I knit and played online. We ended the evening watching Family Guy re-runs and grazing on the various candy/baked goods people have been sending us for the past several days. Good times.

The plan for this weekend is to hibernate. We hope to not leave the house unless we have to. I am forcing myself to finish up the Rusted Root, all I have left is picking up the neckline and the ribbing on the second sleeve. I will not go into 2009 without that thing being off the needles. Also I have to moan and groan about the weather again, it's 72 today. In December. I would adore to be in Minnesota or Michigan or anyplace where's it's at least 35 and frozen. One day, one day...

No comments: