Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My halls are decked

Christmas Eve already? Insanity. I say this constantly but it's true, time races by the older I get. I don't know if it's because I'm not a kid anymore or I don't have kids or what but my ho-ho spirit is seriously deflated. I put up the decorations, I sent cards, I donated to the Salvation Army bell ringer, I bought gifts and I've listened to the Charlie Brown Christmas album but I've got nothing. It just feels 'eh'. It makes me a little sad because I feel like I'm missing out on something.

We have never really had a full size Christmas tree, or even a real one at that. We once tried to have a full size fake tree. It lasted about four hours before the cats descended upon it and murdered it. Doug and I came home to a sad looking tree laying across the living room floor with three bad cats sleeping on top of it. We have a tiny silver tinsel tree I bought on the cheap at Micheal's a few years ago. It's like a disco ball. Most of my ornaments are Dr. Seuss from Hallmark. I have collected a few more non-Seuss ornaments that friends have made and gifted to me recently. The needle felted ball from Christiana and the knitting matryoshka from Melissa (don't I have talented friends?)We also hang ornaments from the ceiling with clear fishing line. I love the way it looks, like they're just floating there. The 'Merry Christmas' sign came from a little gift shop in my hometown. Our stockings I bought a couple of years ago from Textile Fetish and then had our names added to them later.We're off to see some relatives tonight. I think in order to help get myself in the holiday mood I'm going to listen to David Sedaris' "Holidays on Ice", nothing is better than listening to him read aloud 6-8 Black Men.

I hope you have a great holiday and that your relatives don't drive you to drink too much. Merry Christmas!

No comments: