Monday, March 30, 2009

Seeds and garden work

I can't believe it's time to start working in the garden again. It seems like it was only a few months ago I was picking off tomatoes from the vines. I started some sugar snap pea seedlings in mid-February and they lived in my bathroom until two weekends ago when I moved them out to Doug's workshop to harden them off. Last weekend I planted them in the garden, peas like cooler weather anyway and even though our last frost date isn't until mid-April I'm not too worried. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to go cover them up for a night. We still need to concoct a pea trellis, Doug's trying to come up with some structure plans but they should be okay for a little longer.My Seed Savers order came last week too, so I spent some time making seed tapes to make things easier when I plant them. I got directions on how to make them from Organic Gardening magazine. It's just newspaper strips and a mixture of flour and water 'glue', super simple. I can't find the exact article I used but if you Google 'homemade seed tapes' you'll find the directions. For me at least I prefer the seed tapes because seeds for carrots and lettuce are minuscule and they're hard to see when you're putting them in the dirt. On the tape it's much easier to see them, plus they'll be perfectly spaced.
We still have a ton to do before the last frost date, since we're expanding Doug has to get more beds built and I need to till up the the ground where the new beds will be going. Signs of spring are everywhere now, my hostas are poking up out the ground, our cherry blossom tree that was a housewarming present from friends, is blooming, my Japanese maple has leaves again and there are teeny, tiny figs appearing on the trees.

4 comments:

stacey m. said...

I'm so impressed and inspired! Thank you for sharing these photos. Please continue so we can see how they grow!

stacey m. said...

I'm so impressed and inspired! Thank you for sharing these photos. Please continue so we can see how they grow!

Teanna said...

Your post has me wishing for spring! The trees are budding here, but it is still freezing!!! Good luck with your garden!

Anonymous said...

How cool that you plant things. I wish I could do it.