Monday, June 29, 2009

I made skirts!

For real! Granted they're the most simple constructions of a skirt you could possibly imagine and the seams aren't perfectly straight and neither are the hems but they're still wearable! I used this tutorial I found last week from Grosgrain.The first one I used some fabric from an estate sale, I'm not sure how much fabric it was but I ended up cutting off a lot of 'extra' because it was pretty long. It took me about 2 hours to finish the first one but that's because I had to re-thread the machine once and wind another bobbin plus it took a few minutes to understand how the construction was going to work. But once I figured it all out it took almost no time.I used 1" non-roll elastic and I did hem the bottom because there were no 'sealed' sides. This one is a little big around the waist but not terribly so. I like the fullness of this one.
The next one is made from a vintage sheet from yet another estate sale. I thought it was cotton but it must be a blend of cotton and something else. For this one I used elastic that was a little more narrow than 1". The waist is perfect but it's a little long, so I might re-hem (I have no clue if that's the proper term or not) it.
The last one is made from a yard of Heather Bailey fabric I bought last year from Sew Mama Sew. It's shorter than I'd like it to be. I may attempt to add some more fabric at the hem to make it a little less scandalous. I'm really excited I made these all by myself. It's all a learning process and hopefully the more I do the better I'll get. I'm going to make a few more of these because I love wearing skirts during the hot, hot summers here.

6 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Good for you! I make skirts for my daughter each summer because they are just so easy! I wouldn't add fabric to the last one. It's a good length!

Kenan said...

So cute! I JUST bought a skirt pattern tonight, but this looks a million times better. (and easier!) I'm totally gonna copy you! :p

lynseym said...

Look at you go! We just had to get you past that first step!!! Sooo cute.

Anonymous said...

HOw cool! Perfect for summer.

bridgmanpottery said...

The length of the heather bailey skirt is PERFECT. Don't change a thing!

TeaLady said...

Cute.

I HAVE GOT to start sewing again. I miss the challenge.