Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Sweet Potato Biscuits

Hi, my name is April. I live in the South and grew up on biscuits and gravy but have never made my own biscuits. Really.

This TWD selection gave me the push I needed to make my own biscuits. This was not a hard recipe, I was ready to commit murder early on though because my crappy can opener wouldn't work and I ended up flinging some of my sweet potatoes across the kitchen while banging the can on the counter in frustration.
I used the trick someone suggested in the P&Q for using a tea towel to roll out the biscuit dough. I floured the towel and my rolling pin well and it all worked like a charm. However, guess who doesn't have a biscuit cutter? Instead I used various cookie cutters, including a mushroom, a heart and the United States (found and purchased over at Bake It Pretty). The first batch cooked a little too long but the next batch was better and the first batch was fluffier (the first 'roll' of dough). The end result was a good little biscuit, a little flatter than I would have liked but still good.
Thanks to Erin of Prudence Pennywise for the biscuit selection!

7 comments:

Madam Chow said...

Mine were pretty flat, too!

Gwen said...

The United States of Biscuit. Now that's a country where I'd like to live!

Sarah said...

They were yummy! Thanks April :)

Anonymous said...

I like the shapes! Glad you liked them.

spike. said...

Fun shapes, even if they did come out flat. Already made your pic for next week- so good!

Jeannette said...

mine came out flat and tasty as well. and i, too have never made biscuits until this "assignment" :)

Paula said...

Glad the tea towel idea worked for you.