Monday, January 04, 2010

Recent miscellaneous baked goods

Over the last month I've been baking so much there are a few things that I didn't have a chance to post about. In no particular order here they are (some I forgot to take pictures of):

Traditional German cookie, a little spicy/sweet with a powdered sugar coating. Popular amongst those who ate them. Recipe from Martha's Cookie book. Dorie's Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie (recipe found in Baking: From My Home to Yours)
A thin, buttery chocolate chip cookie, made with disks of chocolate (these were called 'chips' on the bag, but trust me, they were big ole disks of chocolate). I made these with espresso powder, one of the variations Dorie lists on the margin. Really, really good cookie, I might lighten the butter load next time though for a more cakey cookie.

Sweet Cream Biscuits (also found in "Baking")
A couple of months ago Doug and I were at Republic Coffee and he had the biscuits and sorghum molasses and made the comment that I should make biscuits at home. I had never made biscuits (well expect the Sweet Potato Biscuits) but I finally got around to making some this weekend. They were simple to make, the only downside was sticky hands because of the dough. We had them with some homemade strawberry jam (thanks Lynsey!) and butter. Plus there were enough for me to freeze to bake on another Sunday morning when I'm feeling less ambitious.
Vanilla Bean Cookies
A subtle little morsel made with vanilla bean paste, unassuming but tasty. Recipe from Pink Stripes via Sunset Magazine. I took this to my sister-in-law's on Christmas Eve, positive reviews.

Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake
Dude. Make.This.Now. I baked this last week to take to the WEVL Volunteer party. Not all of it was gone when we left so I'm not sure what the consensus was, but I liked it a lot. Chocolate caramel ganache, similar to the ganache made for Dorie's chestnut cake. Super rich, but fabulous, a nice special occasion dessert.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cool! You made the cookies. Glad people liked them.