Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A cookie memory

Several summers ago Doug and I took a trip to Washington D.C. We were there for a week, staying in a cute little hotel in Foggy Bottom, walking to the White House just hours after our plane landed and taking the Metro everywhere. It was a nice trip except we went in early August and it was hot, hot, hot and there were families and children everywhere because they were all trying to fit in their last-minute summer vacations. I have nothing against families or children but it made visiting the Smithsonian museums a lot more crowded.

Besides going to the International Spy Museum, another highlight of our trip was going to Teasim, a little place we went for lunch twice. They sold packages of their house-made Salty Oats cookies, crumbly textured oatmeal cookies with a sprinkling of sea salt on top, I ate SO many. I've often thought about those cookies, especially now since salty/sweet things are so popular. Some Google-ing lead me to a recipe that claimed to be very similar to those cookies I loved. However the recipe had rice flour in it, which I didn't have in the pantry. So instead, I found a recipe that has similarities, but it's more chewy than crumbly, as well as being studded with dried cranberries. These were great and the recipe made plenty for me to share with others, but it still isn't quite the Teasim Salty Oat cookie, I'll have to get the rice flour for those.

2 comments:

lynseym said...

You can have my rice flour, friend! I'll bring it this weekend if we meet up. Miss you!

Diane said...

if we go there I promise to bring you back some :) We leave Saturday!