Thursday, April 15, 2010

Garden Update 2010: Week 6

I'm going to MURDER my neighbor's outdoor cat. Despite my best efforts it will not stop using my raised garden beds as giant litter boxes. As I said before, I love animals, I have three cats myself, but they live indoors, where cats should live. I've got a few more ideas I'm going to try, fingers crossed one of them will alleviate the problem... At any rate here's what been happening in the garden.

Two varieties of beans have sprouted
As well as the yellow zucchini (or okra, I can't remember which one I put here)
Carrots have gotten their second leaves
Swiss chard is beginning to look like actual Swiss chard, just a really tiny version
Pea explosion!
They need a trellis, I saw this on You Grow Girl, which may not work for my peas since they aren't in such a deep container, but it's a pretty and very useful idea nonetheless.

Over the weekend I bought two sage plants and a basil plant from a local nursery and planted it with my other herbs.
When I was inspecting the beds I also saw teensy little sprouts at the end of the carrot bed, which I'm almost positive are itsy-bitsy tomatoes. Last year I had a grape tomato plant there and I'm guessing the sprouts are from a fallen tomato or two, maybe they'll produce.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

You are a woman of many talents! When they were handing out green thumbs, they skipped me and gave you two!