Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Local(ish) love

Last week when I was catching up on my Google Reader I saw Kerry's (aka I Love Memphis) post mentioning 901 Love's t-shirts. A few clicks later and I bought this shirt via the 901 Love website and within a couple of days it was delivered to my front door. I really dig the design and the t-shirt itself is super comfortable.

If you live in Memphis chances are you know about WEVL, our volunteer radio station. I think it's one of the best things about Memphis and I back that up with my wallet and my free time. I'm an off-air volunteer which means I help stuffing envelopes, answering the phones during pledge drives, selling WEVL merchandise at Main Street Trolley Night or the RiverArts Fest or pretty much anything they need volunteers for. Right now they're in the middle of their spring pledge drive and one of the pledge gifts they offered was the new Harlan T. Bobo CD uniquely autographed by Mr. Bobo himself. I made my pledge and got one of the CD's before they were all gone. Not only is the music great but the autograph and drawing makes it even better. I've been listening to it since Sunday and so far my favorite song is "Mlle. Chatte." If you're so inclined you can donate online at www.wevl.org or wait until Friday night between 8-10PM to call (901) 528-1990 and I'll be answering the phone to take your pledge!

Olive & Sinclair isn't exactly local - they're about 3.5 hours from being local. They're a Nashville-based artisan 'bean to bar' chocolate company and the chocolate is fantastic. I bought a bar of their 67% Dark Chocolate at Crema in Nashville when we were there in January. Then during a recent trip to Whole Foods (in Memphis) I found a bar of the 75% Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt and OMG it was so good. I spent the better part of a week rationing it off to myself in small pieces. Chocolate and salt is probably the best combination since peanut butter and jelly.

No comments: