Thursday, May 06, 2010

Tuesdays with Dorie: Burnt Sugar Ice Cream

I know it's not Tuesday anymore but I didn't get to make this week's selection until last night. It's the first time I've pulled the ice cream maker out this year and I'm really glad I did. This is another custard (i.e. egg-based) ice cream. When I first started making ice cream like this I was concerned I would over/under cook the custard, but the more I made the more comfortable I got with understanding how the custard should like when it's ready.This ice cream was so creamy, although I do think I burnt the sugar a little too much because there was a slightly bitter undertone. I still like it a lot though. Thanks to Becky of Project Domestication for this week's selection!

1 comment:

mike said...

I bought an ice cream maker after making this by hand.. it was so great! Cooking the custard is taking me some time to learn - but having homemade ice cream is worth it! I'm sure the sugar was fine - increased the flavor - it looks wonderful!