Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cold treats

No Tuesdays with Dorie today, but visit the TWD site for the complete blogroll and Kimberly's blog at Only Creative Opportunities for this week's recipe.

Did you see this story about how June was the warmest June on record globally? I believe it. Memphis is always unbearable in the summer but it seems other areas of the world were also pretty hot. I'm unbelievably thankful for Mr. Carrier's invention.At least the heat has given me an excuse to use those popsicle molds I bought a couple of months ago and pull out the ice cream maker. I love coffee, Doug and I have coffee most evenings and I have a latte in the mornings. For ice cream inspiration I popped over to David Lebovitz's site and stumbled upon his recipe for Vietnamese coffee popsicles. I had never actually had Vietnamese coffee but after reading his description I made the coffee and the popsicles at home. The coffee was really, really good and has left me yearning to go to have 'real' Vietnamese coffee (i.e. not made by me). It seems sweetened condensed milk gets bad rap but it definitely has it uses.The ice cream was another David Lebovitz recipe, Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream. I made it without the caramel bits because I was short on time. I liked this ice cream but I think I overcooked the custard because the texture was off. I'm not a huge fan of ice creams with egg custards because I tend to cook it for too long leaving something to be desired with the end product.

No comments: