Monday, July 19, 2010

Fruit desserts

One of the few redeeming qualities of the ridiculously hot summer here is access to so much fresh fruit. Peaches have been coming in for a few weeks now from Jones Orchard, which is local and sells at most of the farmer's markets in town. I had about 6 smallish peaches that were itching to be made into something delicious last week so I put together a very 'rustic' looking peach galette. I can't remember where I found the recipe, but it was online and included ground almonds in the filling. I'm nearly positive I worked the dough too hard because it wasn't as flaky as it should have been, but the almonds and the peaches were delicious together.These cherries aren't local but I love fresh cherries. I usually just eat them fresh by the bowlful but this time I decided to try this Cherry Clafoutis recipe from Epicurious. The process was made loads easier because I finally invested in a cherry pitter, it was like magic! The clafoutis is basically fruit with an eggy custard poured over the top and baked. This recipe also had ground almonds and almond extract in it because almond is also a very nice accompaniment to cherries. Another sweet winner that can probably be eaten for breakfast without a ton of guilt.

No comments: