Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer knitting

As I said to my friend the other day, I am convinced it will never be cold enough to wear wool. At least heavy wool. Yet we all still knit sweaters.

My knitting group has decided to do a knit-a-long this summer using the Narragansett pattern from Thea Colman. I'm using Classic Elite Solstice yarn, it's 70% cotton and 30% wool. It seems to be well-written pattern, it took me seven days to finish the sleeve increases (I knit slower than most folks). The yarn is knitting up really well though, it's similar to Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece.

I finally finished the Featherweight Cardigan in Madelinetosh Tosh Light. The neck  is somewhat wonky and my finishing skills need more work. The main issue I had was picking up the neckband stitches, they look pretty messy on one side. Oh and I changed the sleeves up a little from the pattern. I do like it though and I'll probably make another one. I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it.



Before we left on Megatrip, I made two baby shrugs for our Seattle friends baby girls. The pattern is Confection Baby Shrug and I used Blue Sky Alpacas Cotton. I used seed stitch for the cuffs and collar instead of the ribbing that the pattern calls for.
While on Megatrip, I only went to two yarn stores, such restraint! I went to Close Knit in Portland (which I had been to before) and bought two skeins of Madelinetosh Tosh Light. The colors are Silver Fox and Celadon and my intent is to use them for the Stripe Study Shawl.
In Lawrence, Kansas  my cousin took me to the Yarn Barn (how great is that name?) and I got two skeins of Claudia Hand Painted sock in Cherries. I really like this Fishnet Anklet pattern but who are we kidding here, I'm never going to actually knit two socks.

No comments: