Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Space for hope

Doug and I have been going to church (shocking!). It's a fairly progressive United Methodist church with things like a soup kitchen, food pantry, community garden, etc. and it's 100 times better than the church I grew up in. Anyway, for the last month they've been doing a Southern literature series on Sundays, tying in some piece of Southern writing to the sermon. This past Sunday they did a selection from Wendell Berry and the sermon was called 'Space for Hope'.
 
Considering the infertility issues we've been dealing with for so.long I'm always looking for hope. The sermon was nice and when I went home I thought about the literal space for hope I've been creating the last few months. In my craft room there's this:
The little red rocking chair that belonged to Doug's father, two 'blankies' from my childhood, some of my favorite Little Golden Books, a few really cute onesies and baby tees from Threadless and all the little knitted items I've been making for our someday-baby. This is quite literally my space for hope. I hope that these things will be used by our baby one day. There has to be an end (a happy one) to this rocky road eventually. 

I finished two more baby sweaters for my stash this weekend, the knitting had been done for a while but the button-sewing-on and the sleeve seaming wasn't finished. 
 
This the Cascade baby sweater knit in Madelinetosh Vintage in 'Baltic'. The buttons are naturally shed reindeer antler. I bought them in Denver last year at the alpaca show. 
 
This is the Maile sweater knit in The Yarn Gallery in 'Aztec' (also bought last year at the alpaca show). The yarn bled a lot when I was blocking it but it's super soft, it's a wool/bamboo superwash. The buttons are from Jo Ann's. This is the same sweater I made for our friends twins in February but I left off the flower pattern on the bottom to make it a little more gender neutral.
Since those things are finished, I started this baby blanket made with sock yarn leftovers. The pattern is Zig and Zag sock yarn pram blanket. I love this so much already, it'll probably be ongoing for awhile since I need more leftovers to knit with but it's a super easy pattern.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You are going to have the best dressed baby ever!