Monday, May 14, 2012

Under construction

So technically there's not really any actual construction going on but my kitchen is still pretty inoperable right now. After five years of living in this house we finally decided to bite the bullet and update our kitchen (that fit of nesting I'm in helped kickstart it too). We ordered cabinets and countertops, a new microwave/vent for over the stove, a new dishwasher and we decided to paint too. 

Last weekend we emptied out our kitchen (except for the appliances) and on Monday morning a very nice team of two guys came and removed our old cabinets, range hood, and countertops. Doug was home with them and I think it took them around 2 hours to finish.

This is the kitchen before (sans the cabinet hardware which we removed to donate to the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore). The cabinets may look fine but looks are deceiving, they were a mixture of original metal cabinets (hello rusty insides) and refaced painted doors, probably from the 80's. The countertops and backsplash were some type of natural stone. They looked okay but the surface was not ideal for say rolling out dough.

 I really wasn't a fan of storing my utensils in here, it was much grosser in person.

And here is the after the tear-out, slightly horrifying.


On Wednesday our plumber/electrician came to move the electricity/plumbing for the dishwasher over six inches (because the new cabinetry was slightly smaller than the old) and replace that sheet rock mess/hole.

Then it looked like this:

Wednesday night Doug and I painted the whole mess back there with Kilz Clean Start so it would be less scary.

Thursday I took the day off to supervise the cabinet installation (supervise meaning I sat in my recliner watching tv and knitting until the guys needed me to decide something). They started at 8AM and were done by 4PM. They also installed our new over the range microwave/vent, which I am madly in love with. Total upgrade. Our old microwave was one my aunt bought me in 2001 when I moved into my first apartment. It still works, but will now be going to live at Goodwill.

The kitchen looked like this during the installation:



Saturday, Doug and I again got our the paintbrushes and spent nearly the whole darn day taping, priming, and painting the kitchen.

Before: (green is the tape)


After:




We used Sherwin-Williams Harmony paint, the same paint we used in the baby's room. The color is called 'Watery' and it's somewhere between a bluish-green, a little darker than these pictures let on. Our paint job isn't perfect but we'll touch it up later.

Now we have to wait for everything else. The countertop people are coming tomorrow to measure and supposedly it'll take another week after that before they're installed. However, I'm crossing my fingers for a minor miracle in hopes they can come before then. Our sink is going to be an undermount one so it doesn't get installed until the countertops do. I really miss my kitchen sink. We also ordered a new dishwasher which will not arrive until after Memorial Day and I ordered this island from Crate and Barrel, which will arrive in 2-4 weeks. There are also some other project/kinks to work out. We have to figure out a new way to vent our dryer and I've asked Doug to build some open shelves for me to put on the wall by the door to display some things. It's going to be great once it's all done but until then it's just a tad inconvenient. Stay tuned for more updated pictures.

No comments: