Friday, November 27, 2009

Post-Thanksgiving post

Hope you had a delicious Thanksgiving! We spent a wonderful afternoon with great food and even better friends. I had a teensy breakdown yesterday morning when I burned my tart crust but I got over it. I made two Dorie recipes to share, Sweet Potato Biscuits (previously blogged about here) and Dorie's Caramel Pumpkin Pie, which we have not made yet. I was good, the caramel added a different flavor to the pumpkin.
Also I finished mitten #1 and I'm furiously working on mitten #2. I am happy to report that I completed an entire thumb without holes, for the first time ever! Last year I tried two different fingerless glove pattern and kept screwing up the thumbs. I need to finish the mittens by next Wednesday. I'm pretty confident that will happen. I also wanted to finish the Liesl sweater, but I am less confident that's going to happen.

Guess who made the M Section of the Commercial Appeal today? Me! The article is about edible gardening and I got interviewed, along with a couple of other new vegetable gardeners. You can see the entire article here. I was excited to share my gardening story, as I've mentioned before I grew up with grandparents and great-grandparents who always had vegetable gardens, it was just ingrained in me as something you did. It was until we bought our house (almost 3 years ago!?) that I actually had the room and the ability to have a full-fledged garden. It can be a lot of work, especially getting up to water at 6AM or getting devoured by mosquitoes at dusk, but it's sooo rewarding. Since I'm talking about gardening, I've had some activity in the garden over the last week or so, all 'leftovers' from the summer. Bush beans peeking out, eggplant, butternut squash, peppers & green cherry tomatoes. Our fall has been really mild and that's why things are still growing/producing.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It was so great to see you in the paper!
Congrats on the hole-less mitten too.
That large red pepper in the last pic looks like Venus of Willendorf.