Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesdays with Dorie: Mrs. Vogel's Scherben

Sometimes you should do what the directions say, otherwise you might end up with a not-so-great result. This week's recipe was chosen by Teanna of Spork or Foon? Teanna has an excellent blog where she makes totally amazing things with gorgeous photos and writes hilarious commentary. Now these little dough strips were supposed to be deep fried and then tossed in confectioner's sugar while still warm. Something akin to tiny bites of funnel cake. I, however, baked them in the oven instead of frying them. They didn't turn out so hot, they were a little too brown in the thin spots and kind of dry since they weren't fried in oil. Lesson learned, sometimes it's better to follow the directions!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I baked half of mine and fried the other half. Like you, I did not enjoy the baked ones LOL but was at least able to salvage the others! ;)

spike. said...

Unfortunately, I also learned this lesson. I have already made next week's recipe though and didn't screw that one up!

Anonymous said...

Well, I know baking is healthier--but baked chips are never as good as the real deal. I almost baked them too.

Karen said...

They were really tasty fried and sugared, you should give it another try!

TeaLady said...

I have some cut dough left and want to try baking some. My guess is they won't be quite as good.

Yours look good, despite what you say.

Mimi said...

I thought of baking them and chickened out a the last minute and went with the recipe and fried them. My kids loved them.
Mimi