Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The kitchen workout

So this book got opened again over the weekend. This time the challenge was homemade ravioli. Lots of the food blogs I read have made homemade pasta like it's no big deal so I had to try it, even if it might turn out less than great. The dough came together quickly, mainly I just got sticky hands. The recipe was eggs + water + flour (amazing what you can make with just those three things).Then the dough needed to rest for a bit, wrapped in a damp kitchen towel, while I made the filling.The filling recipe also came from the book, it was ground round, ricotta, onion, garlic, & some spices. The recipe in the book also called for spinach but I omitted it. After the filling was made it needed to cool and I set to work rolling out the dough, and herein lies the workout part. It's hard on your hands and forearms to get that ball of dough down to a manageable size. It took what seemed like ages (in reality probably 15-20 minutes) to flatten it out. to this.Now it was time to fill it up, which was pretty tricky to get the filling in there without having it ooze out the sides.Once the ravioli was filled and cut into squares it had to set out for 30 minutes to get a good seal and then I popped it in the freezer for about an hour before cooking it. The end result was okay, I made a few mistakes and the dough should have been thinner but okay for a first try I think. Plus I got that great upper body workout.

No comments: