Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tomatoes & blueberries

Despite the time drain algebra is having on me, I did manage to cook a little, because a girl has to eat. I found this recipe for a simple tomato sauce via a tweet from Yarn Harlot. I was a little skeptical that the sauce would be all that great since it has so few ingredients but I pleasantly surprised. The recipe is a can of whole, peeled tomatoes, butter and an onion, that's it. All you do is toss those items together, simmer for 45 minutes and serve over pasta. It's not health fare (hello 5 tablespoons of butter) but easy, quick and very good. I used the San Marzano tomatoes as mentioned in the recipe and I think one of the best things about the butter addition is that is cuts some of the acidity of the tomatoes. Usually Doug has trouble with plain tomato sauce because the tomatoes are too acidic but he really liked this sauce. It's worth keeping a can of tomatoes around for those moments when you don't have the time (or maybe energy) for a more elaborate meal.The blueberry cornmeal cobbler recipe from this book was also thrown together recently. The cornmeal added a nice texture and the whole thing wasn't too sweet. The leftovers do well for breakfast.

No comments: