Friday, August 13, 2010

Things that are terrible for you

It's Elvis week in Memphis, which means thousands of people make the pilgrimage to the Bluff City to celebrate the King. This year is the 33rd anniversary of his death and the culmination of the week is the candlelight vigil on Sunday. I've always thought I would like to go to the vigil at least once just to say I've done it. However, since it's August in Memphis and h o t I can't bring myself to go do it. After living an hour or less from Graceland my entire life we finally went earlier this year (see my Flickr set here for lots of photos). Poor Elvis.
In honor of the King I made a grilled peanut-butter-banana sandwich for dinner Wednesday night, with a few tweaks. 
The bread was sliced challah, one side was peanut butter, the other side was maple almond butter, banana in the middle sprinkled with cinnamon and a tiny bit of sugar. Cooked in a pan with about 1.5 tbsp. of butter ( I told you it was terrible for you). It was good, really good. I wanted to do one side with Nutella instead of almond butter but I was out of it. I am positive that it was have been awesome though. 
Previously I have professed my love for Cakespy aka Jessie Oleson, she's inspired me to visit bakeries, cupcake shops, doughnut joints and more when I travel. Her recipes are crazy, insane gastronomical treats (see the Pie + Cake Shake, Cookie Dough Filled Funfetti Cupcakes, and Grilled Cheesecake just to name a few). Earlier this week I saw her recipe for Double Chocolate Ice Cream Pudding Pie and I had to try it. 
Now normally I'm a from-scratch kind of gal but hell, every once in awhile I can throw caution to the wind and whip something up with ingredients that are not the least bit homemade. The recipe is at Serious Eats here and my only note is that I used a whisk for the first pie but it was lumpy so I switched to my handmixer for the second one and it was much smoother. 
Top it off with a few squirts of ReddiWip and you've got yourself a delicious dessert that might give you a cavity.

No comments: