Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Baking with Julia: Chocolate Truffle Tart(lets)

I almost didn't bake this one because it felt like it would take a hundred steps (I'm being dramatic) but a) it didn't take that long and b) I'm so glad I made it because it was delicious. 

This recipe is hosted by:

I just hate making pie and tart dough because I don't have a food processor and I have to do it all by hand. I pressed on though and made the chocolate tart dough. You know something is going to be good when even the dough smells good.
The dough was put together and rested while I did other things. After a 30 minute chill period, I rolled out the dough and lined the tart pan (I made one big tart instead of smaller tarts). There was another chill period for the lined tart pan and then it got to go into the oven.
The filling was actually simple to make, it was kind of like making ganache. There are 8 egg yolks in the filling, which is a lot, but it didn't taste 'eggy' the way some things with lots of eggs do. My only misstep was I forgot biscotti at the store and did not feel like going back out for it. Instead I roughly chopped up a few leftover cookies I had made earlier in the week. I might have baked it a couple of minutes longer than called for just because undercooked yolks in the filling concerned me a little.


The final product was so very good, the texture of the filling is hard to describe appropriately, it's like an airier, pudding but with a crackly, brownie-like top. Definitely worth making the tart dough.

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Sounds like you had the same experience I had--scared it would take forever but pleasantly surprised when it didn't. It looks delicious.

Wendy (pinkstripes) said...

Someone else wrote that the texture is between a mousse and a brownie and I think that description fits the bill. Your tart looks great!

margaret said...

Looks great as one big tart! I might try some other kind of cookie next time just for fun.

Unknown said...

This was worth the effort, wasn't it? I also made one tart since I couldn't find my tartlet pans.

spike said...

so glad to hear you made (and enjoyed) it!

Cher Rockwell said...

I like the large tart. Very nice!