Thursday, February 16, 2012

February Birthday Cakes

We have a lot of February birthdays, my mom, a dear friend of mine, my brother, Doug's mom, my aunt, etc. Two weeks ago my knitting group had a birthday gathering for one of our own (aforementioned dear friend). For that event I made this Double Chocolate Layer Cake from Smitten Kitchen. I did raspberry filling, but not the one the recipe called for, I did cheater raspberry filling with Bonne Maman raspberry jam. I loved this cake and it got good reviews. Unfortunately I don't have a of it, but it was a really nice, moist cake.

Over the weekend we hosted my mom, her boyfriend, my brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew for Saturday night dinner. I made chicken stew and buttermilk biscuits (chicken stew from here, biscuits from Dorie), my brother's favorite goat cheese tart (recipe here), and this Double Chocolate Sour Cream Cake from The Kitchn.

 This was another cake winner, I loved the sour cream addition in the frosting and the cake, it was so good and moist. My decorating skills are not very good but I managed to spell out 'Happy Birthday'.
So there you go, if you're in need of a birthday cake recipe these two recipes are great.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That double layer cake was one of the high points of my birthday :)